The following information is copied from the book "The Descendants of Michael Holt", by Mrs. Arch Bruce (Maudie Marie Holt) Marshall of Houston, Texas. I have tried to find additional copies, but it is out of print; also it was copyrighted in 1967.
Jaoob Holt was born 1790-1800. He married Mary Stepney Wilkins 28 August 1823. Bondsman: Philemon Holt. He was the son of Israel Holt and had 4 brothers and 1 sister. Their names were: Israel Holt, Jr., John Holt, Michael Holt, Philemon Holt and Catherine Holt.
Israel Holt, Sr., was the son of Jacob Holt. This Jacob Holt had a sister named Hannah. Also, this Jacob Holt was one of seven children borned to Michael Holt and his wife, Elizabeth (Scheible?). Michael Holt is thought to have been born in Germany about, 1697, is thought to have been married in Virginia, and died in Orange County, N. C. after Oct. 31, 1765 (date of his will). In 1746 Michael and Elizabeth Holt deeded by gift three tracts of land in Orange County, Virginia to Nicholas, to John, and to Michael Holt, Jr., the indentures being recorded in that order.
Miohael Holt came to Virginia in 1717 with a group of families known to historians as the Second German Colony or the Colony of 1717. Others in that group were named Amberger, Ballenger, Blankenbucher, Bryol (Broil/Broyles), Clore, Cook, Fleshman, Kaifer (Cafer), Kerker, Mayer, Parlur (Barlow/Berler), Paulitz, Sheible, Smith, Utz, Snyder, Yager and Zimmerman.
These twenty German Lutheran families from Alsace, the Palatinate, Hesse, and other areas, were seeking to escape from the persecutions of the French and secured passage on a boat bound for America. The boat captain's name is thought to have been Scott and his boat was detained in England far some time while he was confined in debtor's prison. By the time he was released the provisions with which the emigrants had stocked themselves for the voyage over had run low and it is said that some oŁ them perished while at sea. They had understood that they would be landed in Pennsylvania, but due to storms the captain brought them to Virginia so they did not join their Pennsylvania fellow-countrymen much to their grief. Also, the captain claimed that they had not paid their passage -- due to the delay due to his imprisonment, the storms at sea, it was an unusually long voyage, and it may be true that they did not have sufficient monies to pay.
The captain refused to allow them to land until Governor Spotswood, of Virginia, gave him the amount demanded. Before doing this Gov. spotswood made a contract with them which they apparently did not understand. They became Gov. spotwood's indentured servants until 1724. He established them at Germanna, where the 1714 colony was already settled. This seven years was described as one of great hardships. Due to some misunderstanding Gov. spotswood detained them still another year, until 1725, some escaped, but most of them endured eigbt years of bondage. In 1725 the colony, now free, settled along the Robinson River near the foot of the Blue Mountains, in what is now known as Madison County, Va. At that time this area was on the very edge of civilization where they faced the dangers and difficulties of frontier life. In June, 1726, they received large patents of land. They were without a minister or a church and although two members of the colony (Michael Cook and Ziriakus Fleshman) went to Germany to "bring a minister for us High Germans who are here" about 1725 they were not successful. In 1734 their first pastor, the Rev. John Casper Stoever, Michael Schmidt and Michael Holt returned to Germany to solicit funds with which to build a church and they were seccessful. In 1740 Hebron Lutheran Church was built and although some alterations and additions have been made, it still stands as a monument to the heroism and devotion of these pioneers (Keith, pp. 79-80).
On Sept. 28, 1728, George II of England granted 245 acres to Michael Holt. (Virginia Patents 14, 1728-32, p. 100).
The Michael Holts sold their land in Culpeper County, Va. in April and July of 1755 (Deed Book B, Page 287). 739 acres in Orange County, N. C. on the waters of the Little Alamance was obtained by a grant from Earl of Granville dated 20th day of August 1759. (North Capolina Land Grant Bk. 14, p. 423, file 690). This grant is thought to have covered the sites of the present towns of Graham and Burlington, the homeplace being located about halfway between the two towns on the north side of Webb Ave., opposite of the county almshouse, on what was once known as the Whidbee place. The old family burial plot being a few hundred yards north of the almshouse site, can still be visited in 1978.
Other older Holt descendants are buried on the Jacob Holt homeplace which was owned by his grandson, Jas. Anderson, Jr. and is now owned by Marvin M. Aldridge, Haw River Township, Alamance County. Still others are buried in the back yard at the Alamance County Historical Museum. Younger Holt descendants are, by now, buried all over the world.
8 May 1841 Orange County, N. C. - Deed Book 2, Page 19. Indenture between Jacob Holt, Beauford P. Benson and Stephen Benson, Orange County, N.C., of the first part and Willis Sellars and Edward Benson two of the school committee in Orange County Cross Roads District No. 28 of the second part. Parties of first part for natural good will toward education and their neighborhood have given to said school district as long as house be kept as school house or preaching place a tract on waters of Quaker Creek being 2.4 acres a part of tracts of land whereon Holt and Benson now live. Holt also gives a spring known as Tobias Stallcup Spring and a path to it. Signed: Jacob Holt, Beauford Benson and Stephen Benson. Witness: Wm. Benson, John Faucet